Wednesday, October 16, 2002

"We're Not Really Done With It Just Yet."

On a recent trip to her local Albertson’s grocery store, my mom purchased the People magazine that she regularly buys, which happened to be the 9/11 Anniversary issue. As the clerk scanned the magazine, she said to my mom, “Can you believe it’s been a year already?” to which my mom replied, “No,” not really giving the question much thought at that instant. The clerk then said, “Well, maybe now that it’s been a year, we won’t have to hear about it so much...I’m kind of getting tired of always hearing about it in a way.” My mom stood there in stunned silence, not knowing what to say to which the clerk then asked, “You know?” My mom then replied, “We lost friends and our friends lost family in the attack, so we’re not really done with it just yet.” Of course, the clerk became apologetic at this point, but I mean, really, how do you take your foot out of your mouth after that one? That clerk is just lucky that it wasn’t me buying that People magazine because the tongue-lashing I would have given her would have driven her right out of the country just as quickly as her comments and feelings should have, let alone the fact that this is how she is representing her company and her store to one of their best customers.

No comments:

Post a Comment