Monday, May 24, 2004

To Spend Your Days In Castles...



There is not a single day that goes by that I am not thankful for the job I have, running and growing my own business by helping other business owners run and grow their companies. I truly have a dream job.

That being said, it is very rare for me to read about someone who is doing a job that results in a bit of a smile and just a little bit of envy or wonderment.

In a recent issue of Kiplinger’s Personal Finance a quote caught my eye. “I don’t do very much other than write about, talk about and drink Scotch.” Believe it or not, there is a Scotsman who actually makes his living doing this. His name is Charles MacLean, a 52 year-old native of Scotland who went to law school, but is today the foremost writer and critic of whiskey in the world.

Charles MacLean knows the Latin name for all of the different trees that aging barrels are made out of and can even quote just about every line that has ever been written about whiskey in famous literature the world over.

To MacLean, a whiskey as old as him is still young compared to the century-old tastes that he is used to. A new whiskey drinker might think Glenfiddich goes down a little rough, but MacLean has been known to call Glenfiddich “sort of girly.”

Respected, envied and sought-after top whiskey critic...if that’s not living, then I don’t know what is...

No comments:

Post a Comment