Monday, June 28, 2004

Today's Taxpayer Should Not Be Held Responsible For Slavery

A Japanese-American interned during World War II deserves reparations from the US Government. That Japanese-American’s children who were born after they were released from the camp and that person’s grandchildren do not.

Do I deserve reparations from the Mexican government because Pancho Villa drove my great-great grandmother’s family out of Mexico? Sounds ridiculous, but there are folks out there that say the U.S. Government owes them money because the U.S. Government condoned slavery before the Civil War and their great-great grandmother’s family was effected by slavery.

Let me give you a quote...Richard Barber, whose grandparents were slaves says that he will fight for reparations because there are still Americans “who have trust funds built on the backs of slaves.”

No one in my family ever owned a slave, yet, according to Mr. Barber, my tax dollars are supposed to go in his pocket...according to Mr. Barber, a company that I might own stock in that once had ties to slavery should take revenue out of my pocket and put it into his...why does Mr. Barber deserve my money more than me when I am the one who worked for it? Why does Mr. Barber deserve my money when I never owned a slave, nor anyone in my family line ever has, at least going back the entire time we've spend in the U.S.?

It’s because Mr. Barber looks back at a life that did not pan out to be all that he wanted it to be, and like most Americans, honestly, truly believes that there is no way that the way his life turned out is his fault because it has to be someone else’s...so, I’m giving away my money for food stamps, for unemployment insurance, and now I have to pay for slavery, too? That’s f-ing fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment