Sunday, April 4, 2004

Giving Thanks When It’s Due...

I always try to remember to give credit where credit is due and I just ran across an article that made me feel the need to sound off with some thanks.

The new mayor of Hartford, Connecticut is a guy named Eddie Perez. Growing up in the bad part of Hartford with his single mom and eight siblings, Mayor Perez was once known on the streets as “The Professor” and ran with a gang he co-founded with some other young male family members.

Perez gives credit to getting involved in the community as to the reason that he turned his life around and started doing some good.

I grew up in the bad part of town and I grew up around guys just like Eddie Perez. One of the things that Perez commented on in an interview was that as he learns about the kids he grew up with, he finds that about 90% of them died from drugs or a life of crime, ended up in jail, or have no measure of success in their life whatsoever.

I know for a fact that as I hear news of my old friends that I grew up with in my early years, that number is ringing true for the group of kids that I spent my elementary school years with.

Hearing that 90% figure and seeing what Eddie Perez did with his life led me to think back on the loving family that I had around me and the wonderful friends that I made that not only accepted the kid from the poor side of town as their friend, but those friends and their families that, without even knowing it, showed me that there was a better life for me out there than the one my fellow neighborhood kids were choosing.

It was, in fact, for me, my family and friends and their belief in me that showed me the way. I must thank you all, my friends, and I must thank my family for this wonderful gift of a better life...Each moment spent with you and each lesson learned was a stroke on a canvas that would materialize into my American dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment